** A few post-event conversations from folks who I met on the trade room floor – and email follow ups!
- I apologize for rushing through the section on equality vs equity + Millennials and forgetting to mention gender-women’s issues. We would also want to include LGBTQ issues. You can see more on the evolution of this visual meme here. The provocation is imagining how the Millennials might elevate equity and social justice issues in the sustainability Venn circles from the NYLA Sustainability Roadmap.
- I also did not dive deep into privacy concerns around the ‘creepy vs compelling’ line of data driven innovation. There are obvious concerns and a subject that will continue to evolve.
- And I mispronounced Latham 😉
Resources to Learning More on Themes
- County Level Population Pyramids (2010 US Census)
- NY State Office for Aging
- NY State Plan for Aging 2015-2019
- NY State Coalition for Aging
- Substance Abuse among Aging Populations
- 2012 WCNY Show on Universal Design for Aging Populations
Sustainability through Universal Design
Universal design (UD) means that rather than designing your facility and services for the average user, you design them for people with a broad range of abilities, disabilities, and other characteristics—such as age, reading ability, learning style, language, culture, and others.
- DO-IT Universal Design of Libraries
- ALA Course on Universal Design
- PDF Universal Access in Libraries
Sustainability – Socially Equitable
- ALA from 2005
- Annie Casey Foundation Action Guide
- Evolution of a Meme Equality vs Equity
- Center for Story-Based Strategy (The 4th Box Project)
- Interaction Institute for Social Change.
- FastCo post: Designing more equitable cities
NY State Clean Energy
GE Fuel cells